I went on a little hiatus because I just couldn’t get the brain to function right the last couple of weeks. An uneventful birthday made me older, Christmas made me crazy, and missing my Dad made me sad so all those emotions together got me into a little funk. It usually happens around this time of year and I’m sure many people experience the same emotions. It’s always made worse by the absolute inability to find time to run or go to the gym topped off by holiday eating. Bleh!
But it’s also that time of year to reflect on the past 12 months and look forward to the next 12. All in all I had a great year and accomplished things I never knew I could and I did things that made me happy! One of those things being running so here are some of my highlights:
- Ran a 5k in my town, running right past my house which was part of the course.
- Ran my first half marathon in May.
- Ran my second half marathon in October with my current PR of 2:11:03.
- That half marathon included my fastest 10k of 59:03.
- Ran my fastest 5k of this year in December at 28:07.
- I ran 334.25 logged miles (with maybe another 100 miles or so that were on treadmills and not being tracked)
It by far isn’t that impressive compared to other runners. Some people put in 2,000 miles, some people ran 20 races, some people won races. But this is just the beginning for me and I’m not off to a bad start. I’m looking forward to what 2017 has in store for my running career and I’m excited to turn it up a notch. My goals for 2017 are:
- Win a 5k in my age division.
- Run at least 15 miles a week (most weeks).
- Sign up for more races without going broke.
- Help my running BFF get her half marathon PR and redeem herself at the 2017 LI Half Marathon.
- Be better at summer running.
- Run in the NYC marathon in November!!!! (This is a total crap shoot based on getting in on the lottery drawing so we’ll see!)
I’m ready to take on 2017 with a vengeance. I’m looking forward to running more, racing more, training more, getting stronger, getting faster and enjoying the ride! What are your goals for the new year??
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!